If you’re suffering from sleep apnea, your waking life and your health have probably suffered as well. You might have tried continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) and found that the mask is too uncomfortable or noisy for you to wear at night. Fortunately, Dr. Agamov offers treatment for sleep apnea including CPAP alternatives and surgery. Keep reading to learn more about sleep apnea and how Dr. Agamov can treat it.
What Is Sleep Apnea?
Sleep apnea is a sleep disorder which causes recurring intermittent pauses in your breathing while you sleep. There are three kinds of sleep apnea:
- Obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) is the most common kind. It occurs when the muscles in your throat collapse, constricting your airways and interrupting airflow.
- Central sleep apnea is when your mind fails to send signals to your lungs to breathe.
- Complex sleep apnea is when both central and obstructive sleep apnea are present.
Symptoms of Sleep Apnea
No matter what form of sleep apnea you’re dealing with, you may have experienced one or more of the following symptoms:
- Daytime tiredness
- Waking up with a dry or sore throat
- Waking up gasping for air
- Memory loss
- Morning headaches
- Difficulty staying asleep
- Mood and personality changes
Besides these symptoms, sleep apnea can make anesthesia impossible for you to undergo because you’ll have even more trouble breathing while under the influence of the substance. Lack of quality sleep can also lead to impaired decision making and motor control, making you more prone to accidents in your waking life. Additionally, no matter what kind of sleep apnea you’re facing, the health consequences can be devastating.
What Is Oral Appliance Therapy?
Oral appliance therapy involves using a custom made mouthpiece that is worn while you sleep. The mouthpiece fits over your teeth and comfortably holds your jaw open in the proper position. This helps to open your airways so you can breathe while you sleep. Oral appliance therapy is a favored method of sleep apnea treatment because it’s:
- Effective treatment for OSA
- Highly unlikely to cause serious, long-lasting side effects
- Small and compact for easy transportation
Call Us About Sleep Apnea Treatment & Improve Your Life
If you believe you may have sleep apnea, it’s vital to your health and wellbeing to receive an accurate diagnosis and an effective treatment plan. Dr. Agamov can fill this need so you can start reaping the benefits of a good night’s sleep. Call our Sharon office to schedule an appointment or request an appointment online and we’ll return your message shortly.